Immigration Issues/Eligibility for citizenship

I was present in US unlawfully for 1 day and got caught. i took volunteer deportation. Later i got the green card lawfully and came to US. I have been living in US for more than 5 years. I am thinking to apply for citizenship. i was wondering if US immigration will deny my request for citizenship? I am planning to submit the application for citizenship and i will furnish the required documents. i want to know what documents i need to furnish with application? Thanks

Hello Samit:

It seems that you accrued unlawful presence in the United States for a day. However, your voluntary departure is a positive event in your immigration history.
I do not believe that you are ineligible for US citizenship, however you should disclose and be prepare to furnish an explanation.
If you need further assistance in preparing your citizenship application, you can contact me at

Annick Koloko

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko

Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.

Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.