Immigration Issues/H1B with 2 year home requirement residence rule

Question
Hi Annick,

I had been in the US with J1 visa which is subject to 2 year home requirement residence rule (HRR). On December, 2008, I came back to my home country and still stay there now.  Therefore, on December 2010 that requirement is clear on me.
My question is that, can I apply a H1B before finishing the HRR, says, applying H1B on June 2010 and then applying a visa on December 2010. Is it possible? Or I really need to pass 2 years before starting applying for H1B?
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank in advance

Answer
Hello Chi:

The two year residency requirement requires certain J-1 exchange visitors to return to their home country for a total period of no less than two years after they have completed their J-1 program. Given that you are subject to the home residency requirement you would be ineligible for an H visa as well as permanent residency until the two year foreign residency requirement is fulfilled or waived.

To obtain a waiver for the two year foreign residency requirement, a Department of State Waiver Review Application Data Sheet must be completed and filed.

The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to request a follow-up confidential advice on your specific situation and regarding U.S.A. immigration-related issues, we can offer a consultation by telephone or email to clients from all States and globally. Email:annickk@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko, ESQ.
www.nyimmigrationlawyer.com

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko