Immigration Issues/H4 turning 21

Question
My Husband is on an H1B. My son like me and my daughter are on H4's. We have lived in the USA for 10 years now. Am still waiting for our Green Card! My son is a full time student. When he turns 21 in November does he have to apply for an F1 student visa or can he continue to study on an H4?

Answer

Your son will automatically lose H4 status when he turns 21 years of age. Thus, he should change to another nonimmigrant visa category prior to reaching 21 years of age if he wants to continue to remain legally in the U.S. Since he is a student, F1 student visa category is appropriate. He should seek the international student officer (also known as the DSO) at his university in order to be issued "Form I-20" and for the university to support him for changing to F1 student visa status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora