Immigration Issues/Marriage to U.S. Citizen

Question
I am married to a US citizen and he wants to petition for me and my children for permanent residence. He went to jail years ago for drugs and weapons possession. However when I met him he was the model citizen which he still is after one year of marriage. My question is if that will affect the process of obtaining a greencard.

Answer

Since you are the person being sponsored, and since you personally do not have a criminal record, there is no problem in your being sponsored. The only issue will be whether your husband can support you and your children financially. Since he does not appear to be currently in prison, his income should be at or above the poverty guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Moreover, even if your husband cannot financially support the family, another individual can independently provide an affidavit of support (USCIS Form I-864) for you and the children, or if you are employed you can add your income to your husband's income on this form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864a.pdf

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora