You are here:

Immigration Issues/Transit From Holland to Mexico trough the USA


In 2008 I left the USA and travelled to mexico. After Mexico I went to Holland where I am born and used to live. I stayed overtime in the USA and when leaving the USA the border security told me that I couldn't travel to the USA for a timeframe of 10 years. My question is can I transit trough the USA to Mexico or Canada in 2010 or 2011. I am a little worried that if I buy my tickets that they will send me back to Holland after I arrive in a USA airport.
What can I do best?? Hope you can help me!
Thanks a lot

Hello Geert:

It seems that you accrued unlawful presence in the United States for over year. Therefore, you are facing a 10 year ban, from the date of your last departure from the US. You cannot reenter the US (even in transit), unless you can present a waiver of inadmissibility or evidence that the 10 years have elapsed. (A visa may be still be required based on your citizenship)
I strongly suggest that you make alternate travel plans, to avoid serious problems.

Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.