Immigration Issues/Visa for husband...

Question
I am a US citizen, and after a wonderful long distance relationship I am soon going to Pakistan to spend time together, and plan to get get married.  Our hopes are to have him come live in the US as soon as the immigration process allows, so that we can start our life together...and want to be sure that we start the process out properly to avoid complications.

Could you please give us details of, after we marry, what we need to do to begin the immigration process while I am in Pakistan? And what the first steps I will then need to do when I return home to the US? We have gotten conflicting opinions about the best way to proceed, so appreciate your expert input.

I am concerned about one issue...I am currently recovering from a long term illness, which prevented me from working for the last year and my finances are depleted. My health will be restored to the point that I will get a job when I return, but am very concerned about if, or how long, my financial situation will delay his being able to come. With the affidavit of support requirements, what is the best thing(the most expeditious)for us to do to resolve this?

So, two issues,#1. Initial steps to begin his immigration process...and...#2 How best to deal with the affidavit of support concerns.

Thank you for your help...

Answer
Hello:

After your marriage, you will need to file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of your husband to get the process started.
If you do not meet the income requirements for the Affidavit of Support, you will need a co-sponsor.

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko