Immigration Issues/Having a baby

Question
My wife just came into the state and at the point of entry they gave her a ticket saying she should just spend only few days.However she is due to have a baby by the 19th of april and that is why she is here.What can we do.Can I extend her visa or Ishould let her go back?

Answer
Hello:

Your wife can apply for an extension of stay in the U.S. The extension may be granted or not granted depending upon the reason for the extension, and whether USCIS is convinced that the applicant does intend to return to his/her home country after the temporary stay in the U.S. The duration for which the person can stay depends upon the expiration date of the I-94, and NOT on the expiration date of the visa stamp. The date on the visa stamp is irrelevant. As long as you apply for the extension before the expiration date of the I-94, your wife would be in legal status (up to 240 days) and you will not have stayed in the U.S. unlawfully.

Your wife should be apply for an extension about 4 to 6 weeks before the I-94 expires.

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko, Esq.
www.kolokolaw.com

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko