Immigration Issues/citenzenship


My husband has now been a resident for almost 5 years. When he had 2 years he tried bringing someone from the border illegally got caught and now we don't now if he can become a citizen of the us we don't know if it is in his records. what should we do because he says if he goes to apply for citizen he can get deported because of what he did which was a favor for a family member who she was a citizen and she wanted my husband to bring her kid in which she could have done it in the first place because she was a us citizen it was just a mistake he made.

Good afternoon Ana:

Alien smuggling is a felony under Immigration laws, and there is no waiver for such crime.
Your husband is correct in his assumption: the processing of an N-400 application can result in removal proceedings if a criminal conviction comes to light.
You can file a request for Information with USCIS (FOIA) to see if there is any mention of the smuggling.
However, keep in mind that your husband has an obligation to be truthful on his naturalization application. Therefore, even in the absence of the smuggling in his record, he will have to reveal this adverse fact.
Failure to do so, can result in loss of US citizenship later on.
I would suggest that you check his record and abstain to file to file for US citizenship.


Annick Koloko, ESQ.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]