Immigration Issues/denial of green card


My husbands residency was denied because he overstayed his visa in 2002. We sent the letter of extreme hardships but they did not accept our waiver. We didn't appeal because our lawyer said it would be very difficult. Now since my husband has less than two years left on the 10 years of penalty he was given we are wondering when we should reapply or how we should proceed.


Your husband should wait for the ten years period ban to elapse, before applying for an immigrant visa. You can start the process a year or less before the 10 years period, in light of the lengthy visa process.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.