You are here:

Immigration Issues/US greencard with Canadian citizenship


I have an aunt who is a Canadian citizen who just got a green card from U.S. (my parents applied for her).  She needs to come to US for job for a day and wanted to see if there was any problems with her returning to Canada that day.  She doesn't want to lose her green Card or citizenship at the time until she makes sure she wants to move to US. Does she need to do apply for anything?


You aunt will have no problem returning to Canada as she is a citizen of that country. However, a US legal permanent resident is required to maintain residency in the United States.  Your aunt may be deemed to have abandon her residency, if she cannot demonstrate otherwise.


Annick Koloko  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.