Immigration Issues/overstay rules


My husband and I came to u.s on a tourist visa in 1987, we married in 1988, we have never left the u.s. my daughter who was born in the u.s is now 21 and will be sponsoring my husband and I. we own property, drivers license's and have no criminal record.
my question is will we be able to travel overseas after we receive our legal status? Thank-you

Hello Teresa:

Once you received your temporary permanent resident card, you will be able to travel without any issues. However, if you need to travel while your application for permanent residence is pending, you will need an Advance Parole.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.