You are here:

Immigration Issues/step-daughter living abroad


I am a US citizen and a few years ago, I petitioned my husband. Fortunately, he is now a permanent US resident. He has a daughter in Central America that is now 11. We want to petition her and bring her to the US. How can we go about it? Do I have to adopt her? Can we do the process ourselves or is it necesarry to hire an immigration lawyer?


You or your husband can file a petition for Alien Relative. Adoption is not necessary as long as the marriage is still in existence and did not occur after the child's 18th birthday. This does not apply to you. Whether to hire a lawyer is a personal decision.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]