Immigration Issues/step-daughter living abroad

Question
I am a US citizen and a few years ago, I petitioned my husband. Fortunately, he is now a permanent US resident. He has a daughter in Central America that is now 11. We want to petition her and bring her to the US. How can we go about it? Do I have to adopt her? Can we do the process ourselves or is it necesarry to hire an immigration lawyer?

Answer
Hello:

You or your husband can file a petition for Alien Relative. Adoption is not necessary as long as the marriage is still in existence and did not occur after the child's 18th birthday. This does not apply to you. Whether to hire a lawyer is a personal decision.

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko