Immigration Issues/withdraw an affidavit of support

Question
My wife and I filed an I-130 for my father-in-law.  He's now holding a Permanent resident card.  Is there any way I could withdraw the affidavit of support I/we filed with the application?  Can a different person or relative sponsor him instead?  If by doing so, does he have to give up his current permanent resident card and re-apply for a new one?  If I can withdraw my affidavit of support how can I do this?

Answer
Hello Sam:

Once the sponsored alien becomes a permanent resident, the support obligation remains in effect until the sponsored alien:
" becomes a citizen of the United States;
" has worked, or can be credited with, 40 qualifying quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act, provided that the sponsored immigrant is not credited with any quarter beginning after December 31, 1996, during which the sponsored immigrant receives or received federal means-tested public benefits;
" ceases to hold the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence and departs the United States;
" obtains in a removal proceeding a new grant of adjustment of status as relief from removal; or dies."

Therefore, your obligation will cease once your father in law becomes a US citizen,or one of the other situations described above occur.

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko
www.kolokolaw.com

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko