Immigration Issues/I-130 and L1 visa

Question
I have an approved I-130 on family petition for a visa and this has been approved pending processing. However in the meantime, i have taken up a position with the US office of my firm under a L1 visa. My 1-130 for my green card is still processing.

Is there anything in particular i need to do to inform CIS as this is a material change of circumstance but should hopefully not affect the processing of my long standing application for the green card based on 1-130 filing? Grateful for any advice!

Thanks, JK

Answer

When the I-130 is approved, and your priority date is current, if you are at that time in the U.S. (in L1 status for example) then an adjustment of status application (form I-485) can be filed. If you are not in the U.S. when the I-130 is approved and the priority date is current, then you would apply at the nearest U.S. Consulate in your home country for immigrant visa. Information about family preference categories and priority dates is here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm and www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

No action is required at this time, as entrance to the U.S. on L visa status will not interfere with pending I-130, which is an altogether different immigration matter. Moreover, L visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S. (unlike visitor or student visa categories).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora