Immigration Issues/F1 financial requirement

Question
Hello Sir,
For getting the visa done should I need to show the financial amount printed in I-20 or the amount to be needed through out the 4 years for my Integrated Ph.D. course?
Suppose the total expense printed in I-20 for a year is $45,123 then should I need to show $45,123 in my account or 4*$45,123 i.e. $180492?
Please help.

Thanking you,
Prattusha.

Answer

You need to be able to show the full amount for the entire course of study (4 years in this instance), and thus 4x the annual amount.

You do not need the entire amount in your personal checking or savings or brokerage account. An affidavit of support can be filed for you and the financial resources of this individual or organization can be added to the amount that you are personally able to pay. When applying for F1 visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate in your home country, or applying for change of status to F1 within the U.S. with the USCIS, be sure to submit, at a minimum, copy of evidence re. financial resources that you submitted to the university

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora