Immigration Issues/Green Card through Marriage

Question
Hi. I was wondering if you could answer something for me. I've been engaged for a little over a year, my fiancÚ is an American citizen. We'll be getting married in a month. He has a criminal record which includes felony charges. He was in prison twice and he's currently on parole from the second conviction. All the charges were drug related, he was addicted to heroin and was caught with it in his possession. He has been clean ever since he was arrested the second time. We've been living together for over two years and we have a 10-month-old baby. My question is: could his criminal record affect my application for a Green Card? A friend told me her sister's application was denied because of her husbands criminal record... Could this happen to me? Are there any chances I'll get denied? What should I do? I'd really appreciate your help! Thank You!!

Answer

Your husband can sponsor you without any problem irrespective of his criminal record as long as the marriage is a bonafide marriage. Certainly the fact that you have a baby together is indicative of living together as husband and wife. Also, your husband should be capable of financially supporting you. However, the affidavit of support can be independently signed by another individual who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as well.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours if you have questions, or email at info@h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora