Immigration Issues/L1 to H1

I'm currently working in US with a L1B visa. This year I'm planning to apply for H1B thru other company. If my H1B get approved, is it possible I can continue working with present employer in L1 even after OCT 1st until I get a job and then transfer from L1 to H1?
Or do I need to change my status from L1 to H1 on October 1st itself?
Your valuable reply highly appreciated.

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Anilkumar,

Generally, you are supposed to continue working for your current employer as long as the underlying L-1B petition is still valid.  You don't tell me when your L-1B expires.  Assuming that the L-1B is valid past October 1, you can change status from L-1B to H-1B anytime during the validity of the L-1B period.

You can even change status after the L-1B expires but you must apply BEFORE the L-1B expires.  Meaning, the H-1B change of status can be approved after the L-1B expires AS LONG AS YOU FILE YOUR PETITION before the L-1B expires.

Your final consideration of course, is that you watch for the H-1B quota and file before the cap is reached.  To watch the quota count each year on H-1B filings, you can check out:

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.