Immigration Issues/Naturalization and absence from U.S.

Question
hello Arora
I'm a green card holder since feb 2008..i was stay in USA from feb 2008 till aug 2009 around 18 month..after that for family reason i left for 10 month..is that mean i have to reset anew start of another 5 years to apply for the citizenship coz of the absence of the 9 month which more than 6 month as the immigration law
*2nd qus...is any problem for the rentery in the airport when i'll be back after the 10 month..and the airport officer has any data to know how long i stay out of the us since ididnt get stamp of when i was leaving the USA in my passport
thanks

Answer

You must be physically present in the U.S. for more than 50% of the time in the 5 year window immediately preceding the application for naturalization, and no single trip can exceed one year. However, the USCIS will closely scrutinize any single trips between 180 days and one year to determine whether you continued to maintain U.S. residence during your absence from the U.S. Factors determining maintenance of residence can include filing tax return, mortgage or rental payments, utility bills in your name, driver's license, bank account, etc. The following link from our website is also helpful: http://h1b1.com/citizenship.htm

There should  be no problem in entering the U.S. for absence outside the U.S. for one year if you maintained a residence in the U.S. (see above paragraph). Absence from the U.S. can be determined by entry stamp in passport when you entered a country outside the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora