You are here:

Immigration Issues/Travel requiring connection thru US Airport


I am a US citizen and have a friend from Mexico who does not have a US visa.  She was turned down for a tourist visa.  We want to travel to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic but all the flights from Mexico City connect thru a US airport.  Can a foreign traveler connect thru the US without a tourist visa since they are only passing thru the airport?  What are her options for travel when she is ok to travel to her end destination country but it requires a flight connection thru a US airport?


Hello Brian:

If a non Us citizen is passing in immediate and continuous transit through the United Sates, he or she may require a C1 visa, unless he/she is a citizen of a country that has an agreement with the United States without a visa or they are eligible to transit through the United States without any visa under the Visa Waiver Program.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.