Immigration Issues/Visa waiver and status change

Question

I'm planning to travel to US on VWS (Visa Waiver Program) while is it possible to change my status to H1B1 if i got a job offer without leaving US. Please advise. Thank you.

Answer

Entry in visa waiver program is for 90 days only. It is not possible to extend status or change status to another nonimmigrant visa category when entry is made in visa waiver program.

An H1B or H1B1 petition can be filed for you by the sponsoring employer, but instead of being granted change of status the approval notice will state "consular processing". Thus, you will be required to depart the U.S. and obtain H1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate abroad. When you enter the U.S., you will be be issued I-94 at port-pf-entry, and at that point you will be in H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora