Immigration Issues/Can you start a company in the US on a tourist visa

Question
Hello there,

I am traveling to the US on a tourist visa and I want to open a corporation while I am in the US and stay a while to get the company going and built up. Can this be done legally?

Thank you,
Bob

Answer

Anyone in any status can open a company. However, you cannot be legally employed by the company. Employment is not limited to being on the payroll of the company, as it can include being actively involved in day-to-day management of the company. Employment by the company that you have opened is not possible unless you have employment authorization such as nonimmigrant employment visa status (H1B, L1, etc.) or employment authorization document (EAD) based on filing adjustment of status application through employer or family sponsorship, etc.  In other words, it is OK to be an investor but not to be employed by the company without specific employment authorization. The following link from our website is also helpful: http://h1b1.com/faq.htm#myself

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora