Immigration Issues/upgrade petition from brother

Question
Hello,

I am in the USA with an F1 visa since I am a student. My brother who is a US citizen filed an I130 petition for me on Nov, 2001. My petition got approved and sent to the NVC in Oct. last year.

I have two questions pertaining my case,

1. My girlfriend and I are planning to marry soon. She is a US citizen and we are wondering how we have to proceed to upgrade (or modify, if that is the case) the old petition from my brother once we are married.

2. Also, when I got the notification from NVC that they have received my case from USCIS, my personal information was not correct. So I contacted them and they asked me to send copies of documents to correct their errors. One was my name. and the other one was my address. I sent the documents two weeks ago, I still haven`t heard back from them. How should I proceed to make sure they have updated my information?. Note that USCIS had it correct and once it reached NVC was not correct.

Thank you in advance for your help

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Manuel,

Congratulations on the engagement.  Immigrating through your marriage to her should not have any implication on your brother's petition or vice versa.   Usually, this is not a concern.

As far as the NVC not contacting you nor correcting your information.  That is typical.  As you know, the visa that your brother applied for you will take years to ripen, so NVC wont' contact you until that petition becomes current and by then you would hopefully already be a US permanent resident or naturalized US Citizen!

You do already have a history with NVC and the USCIS, so you should proceed cautiously with your new petition.  If you haven't already considered hiring an attorney for the marriage case, you should consider this now, especially since doing this properly will mean never having to deal with the immigration service again for permanent residency!

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorney.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto