Immigration Issues/Australian F1 marrying US citizen

Question
I'm an Australian, currently residing in the US. I've recently completed my doctorate degree in the United States, and I will be starting my work as an Adjunct professor at a university under my OPT (optional practical training) from July. My fiance is a US resident, applying to become a citizen, and we're looking at getting married once he gets his citizenship. Will I still be able to retain my work position through either the fiancee visa and/or spouse visa once my OPT expires?

Answer

Once you are married to a U.S. citizen, all sponsorship paperwork can be filed concurrently including employment authorization and advance parole document applications to allow you to remain legally in the U.S. and to work and travel independent of F1 (OPT) status. Thus, you will not be required to rely OPT for employment.

All sponsorship paperwork should be properly filed at least 3 months prior to expiration of your OPT in order to ensure that employment authorization (known as EAD, or employment authorization document) is issued to you on a timely basis so that there is no interruption in your employment.

The fiance(e) visa category is not applicable for two reasons: your fiance is not a U.S. citizen at this time, and you are in the U.S.

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com if you would like a proposal of legal fees and further guidance without obligation.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora