Immigration Issues/Divorce


Hello, my question is my brother was married for a few years and finally he was able to fix his wife's papers. After 9 months she left my brother. We were wondering is there anything that can be done, she has an unconditional greencard. We just feel that she now was just with him until she got her papers.

Hello Maria.

Marriage fraud is a serious allegation under immigration laws. Your brother will have to submit documentary evidence that his spouse entered in the marriage for the sole purpose to obtain immigration benefits.
Is your brother a US citizen or lawful permanent resident? Given the fact that your former sister-in law has an unconditional resident card, it will not be an easy task.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]