Immigration Issues/Expired Green Card

Question
My grandmother's green card and visa expired while she was out of the country.  The reason why she did not return in time to renew everything was because she had medical problems and could not return.  Now she is able to.  Is there something that needs to be filled out for her to be able to return?  Thank you for your help.

Answer

If your grandmother is a permanent resident (green card holder), then normally any absence from the U.S. cannot exceed 365 days. I assume that she does not have a re-entry permit.

She should approach the nearest U.S. Consulate and be ready to submit documentation evidencing medical inability to travel to the U.S. on a timely basis. If successful, the Consulate will provide her a document which will in effect allow her maintain permanent resident status.

Ajay K. Arora