Immigration Issues/F1 Visa to GC and AOS

Question
Hello Ajay I've got a question...
I am an international student here with an F1 visa status. It has almost been 3 yrs since i was first here in the USA. I am 22 right now, and i am doing my Bachelors. I just received my first letter from KCC regarding my selection for the DV lottery. I am trying to do an AOS. My first question is, what should be my next step? Second question, since i am applying for AOS should, if i couldn't make it to the end (Green Card); will my F 1 status be cancelled too? , third question, I am planning to travel to Ireland to visit my sister there this August, since i am applying for AOS will there be a problem while entering USA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks & Regards,
Subham

Answer

I would suggest filing adjustment of status (AOS) through Form I-485, suitable for persons already in the U.S.

Along with adjustment of status you should complete advance parole document application so that you receive permission to travel abroad while adjustment of status continues to be adjudicated by the USCIS. When you have advance parole document, it is OK to travel without abandoning your AOS application and to be able to enter the U.S. independent of current nonimmigrant visa status such as F visa status.

F visa status does not allow for intention to immigrate, so you should definitely wait for advance parole (AP) document to be issued. In our experience, AP document takes about 2 to 3 months to be issued after filing.

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora