Immigration Issues/H1B for 2010

Question

I am planning to travel in H4 visa next month. After coming there, can I find an employer and apply for H1B visa this year itself? Is the cap still open for 2010, or should I apply only next year. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Answer

The cap is open, and thus you can apply for change of status from H4 to H1B if you find an employer willing to sign the H1B petition. Last year (2009) the visa cap was reached on Dec. 21, 2009. Perhaps this year as well it will remain open from April 01, 2010 for at least a few months. The H1B petition will be within the visa cap if it is filed before the cap is reached; it is not required to be approved  before the cap is reached.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora