Immigration Issues/H1B - # of days stay in US after resigning

Question
Hi Ajay,

I work for one of the Indian companies and came to US through H1B. My H1B is still valid and is available till next year 2011.

I recently resigned from my company for an offer in India with another client. My last day here is on 28th of may which happens to fall on a friday. Since the following weekend is a long weekend, i thought i would spend my last weekend going around US may be to LV.

Is it possible? Since my H1B is with my employer, do they send that information immediately to USCIS? How does this work? How long can i be in US after resigning from my employer who is the sponsor for my H1B?

Thanks,
Sunil

Answer

You can legally remain in the U.S. for up to 10 days after termination of your employment. Thus, there is no problem in spending the weekend plus a few additional days in the U.S. after May 28, the last day of your employment.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora