Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 transfer questions

Question
1.Can we do L1 to H1 transfer, i.e. get a new I - 94, instead of having to go to india for stamping for H1.

2.And, can i start working without the H1b stamping or is it required for working?

2.Can i work with my L1B employer even after H1b is approved(H1b work start date is Oct1).

Answer
Yes, you can change status from L1 to H1B. When granted change of status by the USCIS, you will not be required to obtain H1B visa stamp in passport. If you do travel abroad, for whatever reason, after H1B approval granting change of status, then you will be required to obtain H1B visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate.

You can work on H1B status without H1B stamping, if granted change of status to H1B by the USCIS.

If granted change of status to H1B effective Oct. 01, you will no longer be in L1B status on Oct. 01, as you can hold only one status at a time.

Ajay K. Arora