Immigration Issues/Marriage to U.S. Citizen

Question
Hello!!
I am an international student here in the USA with a F1 Visa. I will graduate with a Bachelors in Accounting in December 2010. I have dated my boyfriend (US citizen) for more than 3 years and we are planning to get married after graduation probably one month later.
Is there any legal problem doing that?
Can I do that?

Answer

You can be married anytime, and be sponsored by your U.S. citizen spouse as well anytime after marriage. You will receive employment authorization document (EAD) as well as advance parole document to allow you to work and travel independent of your current F1 visa status. All sponsorship paperwork including the petition for alien relative (to be signed by your husband, when you are married); the adjustment of status application (to be signed by yourself), employment authorization and advance parole document applications (to be signed by yourself), etc.

You should not travel outside the U.S. after sponsorship paperwork has been filed until you receive the advance parole document, which will probably be between 2 and 3 months after filing.

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours if you have questions, or email info@h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com  

Ajay K. Arora