Immigration Issues/N-400 Travel abroad while legal resident

Question
I am helping my wife fill in the N-400.  We have traveled abroad a lot on various vacations in the 20 years she has had her green card, and have no record of most early trips.  In fact we really only have accurate dates for trips over the past couple of years.  How do we answer the question accurately and honestly??

Answer

The time spent abroad is important if any single absence was 180 days or over, as lengthy absences could construe failure to maintain a residence in the U.S.

Fill in the dates as you best recall based on entry/exit stamps in passport, itinerary from travel agent, etc. If it is any consolation, the USCIS does not have accurate data of your time outside the U.S. either, as there is no record of your departure from the U.S. (the USCIS does not stamp exit date in passport)  

Ajay K. Arora