Immigration Issues/Renewal of expired L1 Status

Question
I visited US in 2001 on B1-B2 visa with my family. Changed status to L1A to me and L2 for my family also my wife got work authorization was approved for 1 year first, then further extended for 3 years. It was valid up to 08 Oct. 2005 but we return back to pakistan in June 2004. Cause Visa was not on the Passport and my father was seriously sick and was expire on Dec 2005.

Now am willing to restore and continue the same status, and looking forward for your precious advice and its possibility.

Am still engage with the same company, I got B1 and L1 visa on which behalf.

Answer

There is a maximum of seven years allowed in L1A status. The seven year clock starts again if one year is spent outside the U.S.

Thus, the L1A petitioner (the U.S. branch or subsidiary or affiliate or parent company of the foreign company) will again file L1A petition with the USCIS. The L1A petition can be filed irrespective of your presence in the U.S. If you are in the U.S. in B1 status when the L1A is filed, you will be granted change of status to L1A. Your family (if present in the U.S. with you) will receive change of status from B2 to L2 status. If your family is not present in the U.S., they will apply for L2 visa stamp at the nearest U.S. Consulate.

Additional information about the L visa category is here: www.h1b1.com/L1visa.htm

Ajay K. Arora