Immigration Issues/Visa waiver to AOS

Question
I was born in Peru. I am US citizen. I am married with a japanese citizen. She was born in Brazil. She came to America 7 years ago with visa waiver program. We got married 3 years ago. I want to petition for my wife. Is there any problem?

Answer

Since your wife entered the U.S. legally, and she is married to a U.S. citizen, she can be sponsored and her adjustment of status can be completed in the U.S. without having to depart the U.S. (Indeed, if she departs the U.S. prior to obtaining resident status, she will be subject to the 10-year bar to entry to the U.S.).

Entry on visa waiver program prevents extension or change of status to another nonimmigrant visa status, but as stated above there is no problem in adjusting status in the U.S. based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, which leads to permanent resident status.

You can call our law firm during business hours at 212-268-3580 or email info@h1b1.com if there are questions.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora