Immigration Issues/Volunteer Work Before OPT

Question
Hello Ajay,

I am an international student  in the US and I graduate in May 2010. However I have applied for my OPT with a start date of June 21st, 2010. But recently I got a job and they want me to start ASAP. So my question to you is if I can volunteer at that place till I receive my OPT??? If yes, then do I need some documents from school.. I would really appreciate it if you could answer this for me!!!

Answer

It is OK to "volunteer" only if the duties that are performed are not duties that are normally compensated at the company.

It may also be OK if there is an established internship program at the company that could be considered "educational" and this can be OK if you have the permission of the DSO (also known as the international student advisor) at university.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora