Immigration Issues/arrest and K1 or adjustment of status

Question
Hi Ajay, thank you for taking the time to read my question. My boyfriend came to the United States on a tourist visa and stayed here for 5 months.During his stay he had a problem and was detained by the cops and taken to the local police station. He was not taken to jail and was let go that same day but the cops did a written report on the incident that happened. We would like to get married and I was wondering if when I apply for the K-1 fiancee visa for him will it be denied because of this?

Answer

If your boyfriend is still in the U.S., all marriage ponsorship paperwork can be filed concurrently with the USCIS and he can continue to remain in the U.S. and receive employment authorization and permission to travel (should he choose to travel) until he can obtain resident status.

If your boyfriend is outside the U.S., the arrest should not hamper issuance of K1 visa by the Consulate. However, your boyfriend should obtain disposition of the case (or the written report of the incident) to verify that he was not actually convicted of a crime.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or send email to info@h1b1.com if you have questions.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora