Immigration Issues/US citizen petition brother

Question
I am a US citizen and I have petition my brother back in 2002, we have received a priority date already.  my brother enter the USA with a visitor visa and continue residing here since 2002, my question is: does he have to adjust status here in the USA once his priority date comes, or does he have to return to his native country  to receive his green card?

Answer

Since you filed for your brother after April 30, 2001, he is not covered under Sec. 245(i) and thus cannot adjust status in the U.S. as he is violating his immigration status. He will need to return to his native country and apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate.

Ajay K. Arora