Immigration Issues/naturalization


my daughter enter the USA before her 18th birthday, she qualifies under the automatic naturalization, now do I have to file any application for this because on the notice that i receive from national visa center it states that no application or ceremony required. can you please help

Hello Maria:

Under the CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,
The child is under 18 years of age, and
The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.
If your child satisfies the requirements listed above, he or she automatically acquires U.S. citizenship by operation of law on the day she is admitted to the United States as an immigrant. Your child’s citizenship status is no longer dependent on USCIS approving a naturalization application.
If your child permanently resides in the U.S, you can obtain evidence of your child’s citizenship by applying for a Certificate of Citizenship. You will need to file Form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) and submit it to the local USCIS District Office or Sub-Office that holds jurisdiction over your permanent residence.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.