Immigration Issues/I-130 Petition

Question
my mother who is a us citizen petition my sister who is over 21 yrs old and married, does she really need to wait about 8 yrs for her adjustment of status, since she apply for I-130 on 2008, and does my sister need to apply for her adjustment of status here in the usa (she enter with visa) or go back to her country?

Answer
Your mother has filed for your sister in the 3rd family preference category. Information about family sponsorship categories is here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

It can easily take several years or more for the priority date to be current before your sister can adjust status. Information about priority dates and visa bulletin is here: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

In order for your sister to adjust status in the U.S. when her priority date is current, she will be required to be maintaining valid nonimmigrant visa status. The filing of the I-130 petition is not a legal basis for remaining in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora