Immigration Issues/US Citizen divorcing Permanent Resident

Question
I am a Naturalized US Citizen and sponsored my husband when I was a permanent resident in 2003. He has since gotten his permanent residency in August 2009, however I would like to file for a divorce. Would this affect his naturalization? Would our 2 American born children be affected? Would I be able to remarry an outsider and sponsor that person and how soon after?

Answer

If you divorce, your husband would now need to wait 5 years after obtaining permanent resident status in order to apply for naturalization. If you continue to be married to your husband, he can apply for naturalization 3 years after becoming a permanent resident.

Your children are automatically U.S. citizens by virtue of being born in the U.S. and cannot lose their citizenship status.

You can marry someone else after your divorce and sponsor your new spouse without any problems or restrictions.

Ajay K. Arora