Immigration Issues/Green card

Question
Hi
We moved from Northern Ireland to California in March. My husband has a job with a company here and is on a 3 year visa. The company he works for are going to apply for a green card for him after 6 months if they are happy with his work. I do not work and we have two children, we also have visas attached to his. Can I apply for the green card lottery in November, if I don't get a green card will this affect his chances of getting one through his company or affect his application in anyway?
Thanks in advance for advice and information.
Maureen

Answer

There is no problem if you apply for DV (green card) lottery. Indeed, both you and your husband can apply separately, and if either application is selected, the entire family can obtain green card.

Filing for the DV lottery by you and/or your husband will not impact upon your husband's employer sponsorship in any way. Your husband's employer should not hesitate in supporting him for the green card process as originally planned, and in any event your husband does not need to disclose to his employer that he is also applying for the DV lottery.

Ajay K. Arora