Immigration Issues/Green card through parents

Question
Mr. Arora,

I am 23 years old, graduated from college in the US this year, and I am currently still in the US on F-1 OPT program until May 2011. My parents won the green card lottery last year and got their green card this year. My brother also got a green card this year through marriage.

I did a little research of my own, and it seems I am eligible for family based immigration 2nd preference. Is that true? What's the average time to get a visa number and could I still stay in the US? Would I have any other options for staying in the US after my OPT expires?

Thanks so much!
Ilija

Answer

Since your parents are green card holders, they can sponsor you in the 2nd family preference category as unmarried child 21 years of age or older by filing an immigrant petition with the USCIS. Family sponsorship categories are noted here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Ajay K. Arora