Immigration Issues/H-1B transfer and withdraw I-485

Question
Hello Mr. Arora,

My husband's employer filed for green card under EB1 (OR) category. I-140 got approved and I-485 is pending. He got EAD card and fingerprinting notice. He also got a very good job offer from a different company. We would like to withdraw the I-485 application and get his valid H-1 transfer done by the new company. The new company agreed to do the H-1 transfer. Should we withdraw the I-485 application first? Or can we wait till the transfer goes through and then withdraw 485?

Answer

If the employer that filed the EB1 petition is still offering your husband permanent employment upon approval of I-485, your husband can work elsewhere on EAD, and I-485 should still be approved. Thus, I-485 should not be withdrawn in this scenario.

However, if your husband's intention is not to work with the EB1 employer, then I recommend that the H1B petition be approved first by the new employer, and only then the I-485 application should be withdrawn. (If the I-485 is withdrawn, then EAD is automatically invalidated.) H1B approval can be obtained by the new employer on an expedited basis termed "premium processing."

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora