Immigration Issues/H1B to F1 to I140

Question
Hi Ajay, came as a student in July 2000 and spent 4 years doing my BS from PSU. Have been in job since June 2004 and my 6 years of H1B expires in September 2010. I have recently obtained labor certifcation but as I have got admission in one of the top MBA schools I must convert to F1. My question is that I have to apply for conversion to F1 and after obtaining F1, I want to apply I140. Is this the correct course for me. Is there any catch or advice from your end. Thanks. Anil.

Answer

I-140 must be filed within 180 days of certification of PERM (also known as application for labor certification). Since I-140 (petition for immigrant worker) is an immigrant petition, and F1 status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S., I agree with you that it is a good idea to file for change of status from H1B to F1 prior to filing I-140.

Ajay K. Arora