Immigration Issues/H1B to L2 visa change

Question
I am currently holding H1B visa and planning to quit job. My husband is in L1 visa, and I want to go in to L2 visa. I understand that to change the status, I need to get my L2 visa applied and get the petition approved.
My question is that , Once L2 petition is approved, Do I need to exit the country and get it stamped for status change or My status will automatically change while being in US itself.

Answer

Application to change status from H1B to L2 should be filed while you are still maintaining H1B status, i.e., prior to your employment being terminated by the H1B employer.

When the USCIS approves the petition requesting change of status to L2, you will automatically be in L2 visa status as this will be the "latest action" by the USCIS.

There will be no requirement to exit the U.S. However, if you depart the U.S. for any reason subsequent to obtaining L2 status, you will be required to obtain L2 visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate abroad prior to entering the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora