Immigration Issues/H4 Visa

Question

Our Marriage was a Court Marriage and we do not have Marriage Photos or Invite. But we do have the Marriage Certificate.

My Query's are -
1. Can we mention the same for the absence of Photos/Family and will the Marriage Certificate work?
2. Marriage Invite is not present. Will it pose a problem?
3. Once in US, is it feasible to change from H4 to H1B if I clear any interview [ I was on H1 till 2009 and currently my husband is travelling to US].

Thanks in Advance for your time and response.

Hepzibah Varghese

Answer

Marriage certificate is required as evidence of legal marriage. Marriage photos and marriage invitation cards are not required if there is alternate evidence that you are residing together with your spouse as a married couple. This could include photos showing the married couple along with friends/relatives, evidence of mail addressed jointly to you and your spouse, filing of tax return jointly, having joint bank account or credit card, publicly stating that you are married, and thus listing spouse on any insurance or other application, etc. These are just examples, and you do not need all of this evidence to show that you are in a bona fide marriage.

You can change status from H4 to H1B if you find an employer willing to sign H1B petition for you. You will not be subject to the visa cap since you were at one point in H1B status within the past six years.

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for future inquiries.

Ajay K. Arora