Immigration Issues/Marrying and Asylee


I want to marry a person who is on asylum status in america. His assylum application got approved this year in January. He will probably be applying for the green card in january of 2011. I am on H1B visa. I got my H1B approved last year 2009. I want to ask if he applies for his greencard next year how long will it take for him to get the green card considering that he is from Pakistan.   
Second question is if I marry him when is it better for me to adjust my status using his status. I don't want to be changed to asylee status. should I adjust my status when he applies for his green card. or should I wait until he gets his green card approved.   
Please let me know what the best approach would be in this case in terms to immigration issue/adjustment issue if we get married.
Thanxs alot


The processing times for an adjustment  of status vary greatly. You should consult the visa bulletin on the USCIS website for more details.
Furthermore, you should proceed with your adjustment of status as an H1B. You cannot adjust your status through your husband until he becomes a lawful permanent resident and files the paperwork on your behalf.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.