Immigration Issues/N-400 blind person

"my father is applying for citizenship he is legally blind and his doctor has provided him with a medical letter stating his condition and also my father never learn how to read or write, is my father eligible to apply for citizenship?"

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Maria,

Your father may apply for a disability waiver of the examination, but he'll need a medical letter *with diagnosis and explanation* of how his blindness prevents him from studying for the examination.

The USCIS takes each scenario for waiver on a case by case basis, so it will all hinge on how well you make your argument and you will have to document every assertion you make.  The USCIS should also take into consideration that your father perhaps has never had any formal education and perhaps as a blind person had no opportunity to learn general history or civics, but I don't think that blindness by itself is a reason that USCIS will give him a disability waiver of the examination.  

You will have to document your request really well.  

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto  

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.