Immigration Issues/OPT & H-1B after Master's degree

Question
Hi Mr.Ajay K. Arora,

I am in H-1B status (extended once, but never gone out of US after my bachelor's) and it's expiring September 2011.  Right now, I'm a part-time student in a graduate school studying accounting.  I was planning to change my status to F1 after my H-1B expires.  

However, I was told in order to apply for another OPT/H-1B after master's, I have to go out of US for a year and then I can be qualified.  Is this true?  Even if I change my status to F1, I can't get OPT/H-1B after my master's?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you.

best regards,
YJ

Answer

You will obtain new OPT after graduating from master's course of study. However, as a general rule there is an aggregate of six years allowed in H1B status. If you want another six-year eligibility in H1B status, you would need to depart the U.S. for one year.

Ajay K. Arora