Immigration Issues/Re-entering U.S after staying abroad for 1 year

Question
My mom-in-law is 79 years old. she is Green card holder. She went to India on 5/26/2009. She wants to come back now. Her GC is valid for another year. Is there any other way to bring her back. Please advice.

Thank you in advance,
Asma hassan

Answer
I am assuming that your mother-in-law does not have re-entry permit.

Thus, unless she has a compelling reason (such as medical inability to return to the U.S.) for staying abroad for one year, she has effectively abandoned her permanent resident status.

Sponsorship for her green card process can be started again with the USCIS. For example, if your wife is a U.S. citizen, she can sponsor her mother by filing an I-130 petition.

Ajay K. Arora