Immigration Issues/U.S. Citizen sponsoring Parent

Question
Hi, I've been an US Citizen since 2001.  I'm looking to apply for a green card for my mom who's currently in Taiwan.  (she was in US at one point and stayed too long, ended up with a 10-year bar, but she's been back in Taiwan now since 1999, so the 10-year thing has passed)  Can you please tell me what type of forms I need to submit and how long the process typically take?  Thank you!

Answer

Since your parent is not currently in the U.S., you can only an I-130 petition with the USCIS at this time: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf Family preference categories are described here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Upon approval of the petition, the National Visa Center (NVC) will mail written instructions regarding consular processing for your mother enabling her to apply at the nearest U.S. Consulate for issuance of an immigrant visa (green card) to enter the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora